Lives in a house/A very big house in the country
It’s been nine months since we moved to the country*. We moved from Melbourne (population 3.85 million) to a town in rural/coastal Victoria (population: much smaller). At the time, I was more than a little breathless about the move, because I envisaged that it meant more time to spend with my boys, more money, fresh air, millions of peaches, peaches for me etc.
Has this indeed been the case? Yes, in discussion last night, Mr Fix and I agreed that it had.
I know a lot of city-dwellers who express their concerns about making the shift to the country, and particularly for lefties it can seem a big ask. Rural and regional Victoria, unfortunately, has some ground to make up on selling itself as “progressive”.
So what are my tips for a smooth transition?
1. Go there first.
Oh dear god, whatever you do, don’t commit to moving somewhere before you have ever been there. My main reason for advising this is that, sadly, if you hate it, you will have only yourself to blame. On the other hand, if you do a cursory cruise of the town (as my friend did before moving to Mount Gambier), you’re much more likely to be able to blame that “small town ambience” on your yearnings to move to a rural locale, rather than, you know, stupidity.
2. Choose a workplace that fits your beliefs, or at the very least doesn’t make you want to gouge your eyes out with a spoon
If, like me, you have the kind of lefty colours you could not only nail to the wall but practically build a small tent colony with, then you’re probably unlikely to get employed by Right Wing, Conservative and Conventional Partners. On the other hand, I didn’t charge about my workplace yelling “I HATE JOHN HOWARD, WHO’S WITH ME?” in my first week either (although if I had, perhaps I would now be friends with some of these people). If you’re going to spend a lot of your time at work, it’s important to find a job you like with people you think you can work with.
3. Find a house you like
Living in a place that is nice to come home to makes all the difference. We looked at some god-awful places before we found our current (rental) house. It doesn’t have to be a rural idyll with roses climbing the picket fence. But having enough room is a good start, and having a functional kitchen is even better.
4. Do all the things you moved there for
I have met a stack of people who moved here with the intention of going to the beach every day in summer, spending a lot of time outdoors, having a veggie garden and basically living a pastoral existence**…intentions they completely forgot when faced with the realities of life. Whatever people’s view on my level of frenzy, I have been true to my intentions to do almost all of the above (am yet to obtain livestock).
5. Have partner with transportable job
It is endlessly helpful for me that Mr Fix has the kind of job you can do anywhere (within reason) and that he was quite happy to move also. I highly recommend consensus when it comes to moving any great distance.
Anyway, if I was inclined to tell the internet where I lived, I'd be entreating you all to come visit me. Just know that it's awesome. So very awesome.
* If you believe some of my colleagues, I should really be pregnant by now.
** Harpo, that’s a reference for you – don’t say I never do anything for you. Or you can if you want. How will I ever know?
Has this indeed been the case? Yes, in discussion last night, Mr Fix and I agreed that it had.
I know a lot of city-dwellers who express their concerns about making the shift to the country, and particularly for lefties it can seem a big ask. Rural and regional Victoria, unfortunately, has some ground to make up on selling itself as “progressive”.
So what are my tips for a smooth transition?
1. Go there first.
Oh dear god, whatever you do, don’t commit to moving somewhere before you have ever been there. My main reason for advising this is that, sadly, if you hate it, you will have only yourself to blame. On the other hand, if you do a cursory cruise of the town (as my friend did before moving to Mount Gambier), you’re much more likely to be able to blame that “small town ambience” on your yearnings to move to a rural locale, rather than, you know, stupidity.
2. Choose a workplace that fits your beliefs, or at the very least doesn’t make you want to gouge your eyes out with a spoon
If, like me, you have the kind of lefty colours you could not only nail to the wall but practically build a small tent colony with, then you’re probably unlikely to get employed by Right Wing, Conservative and Conventional Partners. On the other hand, I didn’t charge about my workplace yelling “I HATE JOHN HOWARD, WHO’S WITH ME?” in my first week either (although if I had, perhaps I would now be friends with some of these people). If you’re going to spend a lot of your time at work, it’s important to find a job you like with people you think you can work with.
3. Find a house you like
Living in a place that is nice to come home to makes all the difference. We looked at some god-awful places before we found our current (rental) house. It doesn’t have to be a rural idyll with roses climbing the picket fence. But having enough room is a good start, and having a functional kitchen is even better.
4. Do all the things you moved there for
I have met a stack of people who moved here with the intention of going to the beach every day in summer, spending a lot of time outdoors, having a veggie garden and basically living a pastoral existence**…intentions they completely forgot when faced with the realities of life. Whatever people’s view on my level of frenzy, I have been true to my intentions to do almost all of the above (am yet to obtain livestock).
5. Have partner with transportable job
It is endlessly helpful for me that Mr Fix has the kind of job you can do anywhere (within reason) and that he was quite happy to move also. I highly recommend consensus when it comes to moving any great distance.
Anyway, if I was inclined to tell the internet where I lived, I'd be entreating you all to come visit me. Just know that it's awesome. So very awesome.
* If you believe some of my colleagues, I should really be pregnant by now.
** Harpo, that’s a reference for you – don’t say I never do anything for you. Or you can if you want. How will I ever know?

15 Comments:
I've planned to live in the country... one day. Do you think it's ok for a single one as me? I can imagine it's much better for a family.
I want to hear more of country living gw! Give me peaches and... veggie patches! And grumpy old farmer neighbours. Give me land lots of land!... [hee. sorry. couldn't help it.]
Know anyone who needs a marketing genius? You are doing such a fine job on the sales pitch for rural Vic that I think we might be sold - mind you of course if you're this good at sales pitching it might mean that Ms Fromage's vast talents might not find room to manouveur...bugger.
(I of course have very little discernible talent and therefore should be thoroughly transportable.)
Well now I want to know where this idyllic hideway is! Can't you give some sort of coded hint so I can move there? Or at least send me the latest real esate figures?
I'm supposed to be working - stop distracting me with entertaining posts would you!
I am so glad that your move to the country has worked out so much better than mine did. Sure, meeting my wife was excellent, but we still moved back to Melbourne 6 months after we got married.
Thanks to this post, I now see where I went wrong. That would include moving because I desperately needed a job, any job, and picking a town that was many hours drive from the nearest beach, to name just two of my mistakes.
Eleanor,
I'm not sure how it would be a single person. But having a rambunctious four year old certainly does break down some social barriers.
Mr Fromage,
Yes. Yes I do. Email me and I will tell you more about that.
Leilani,
Heartbreakingly the real estate figures here are not that great for those wishing to break into the market (they're outstripping CPI at a cracking rate).
INCraig,
Dude - don't EVER diminish the event of meeting Honeybear that way....if your job had been pushing shards of glass up a sandpaper hill with your nose it would still have been worth it to meet the love of your life. Seriously.
terrific post. i don't imagine i'd go down a storm in the country, for the reasons you listed and others, but nevertheless i dream about it regularly. props to you for having the balls and the vision to see it through.
and i second your remark to INC that any kind of hardship is worth enduring if you end up with the love of your life. i wouldn't contemplate a move to the country without said item - it would be twice the battle and a fraction of the fun.
It is genuinely thrilling news to hear that it's going so well for you. No livestock, you say? Get yourself a hinny: can't go wrong with a crossbreed…
I feel all wobbly getting my very own reference. Hurrah.
As far as I can determine from the last three comments, it seems I have to move to a town in rural/coastal Victoria to find myself a wife.
Susanna,
Yes - it's all about finding the right place and choosing your outbursts carefully.
Harpo,
I know - if I had just a smidge more room I would be getting a hinny. Either that or a caribou calf.
Gigglewick, your life in the country sounds absolutely blissful. I love the idea of living in the country - but your practical reasoning puts my romantic notions to shame.
Sounds lurvely. My favourite bit of coastal Victoria is Lorne. Not sure how close this is to you, but I liked it because one could purchase Quality Literature from several places, including the servo. Now that's what I call a town. Books from the servo! Not sure I'd care for it during surfie invasion time, though, since we visited in October and it was still closed for winter.
to INCraig, I was reading through earlier posts and found one where in the comments you did not know how to transfer music from a tape to an i-pod, so I left a reply explaining a method which I had successfully used in the past. It's a bit time consuming but it works . It's on the post about ethics.
Oops!
Yes, I see now that I expressed that rather badly. Full explanation, retraction, clarification and stuff like that will appear on my little blog rather soon.
As my kids like to say "uh-oh! How did it happen?"
Also, river's comment wasn't there when I left mine, so sorry for appearing to ignore it and thanks for the tips etc
Rosanna,
Yes. Sadly I have the ability to suck all the fun out of everything through over-analysis.
Redcap,
Books from the servo? There's nothing like that where I live!!
River,
Wow - you are thorough!
INCraig,
Boy how the ire of the internerd came down on you. Retraction noted.
Mr parents are moving to the country and so I get to live it all vicariously through them... and that's kinda the way I like it!
I find spending time on their property in Berry just exhausts me! Breathing country air takes more effort I reckon. Plus walking from shed to the house, to the creek to the 'power station' (solar panels to be installed - so very exciting!) and back again means you've walked about 5kms. Well not quite, but it feels like it.
Plus, Berry SourDough Bakery just the best coffee and eggs benedict ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Just sayin'
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home